What Is The Difference Between A Statement Of Conversion And A Certificate Of Conversion?

The California Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act authorizes the conversion of a California limited liability company into an "other business entity", a "foreign other business entity", or a "foreign limited liability company".  Cal. Corp. Code § 17710.02(a).   In providing for these conversions, the CARULLCA refers in various statutes to a "statement of conversion" and a "certificate of conversion".   Although these two terms are similar, they refer to different documents.   

Whether a "statement of conversion" or a "certificate of conversion" is required depends upon what the California LLC is converting into.  If it converting into a domestic limited partnership, a domestic partnership, or a domestic corporation, a statement of conversion must be completed on the applicable document filed with the Secretary of State (i.e., the certificate of limited partnership, statement of partnership, or articles of incorporation.  Cal. Corp. Code § 17710.04(a)(2) & 17710.06(a)(1)-(3).  If the California LLC is converting into a foreign LLC or foreign other business entity, a certificate of conversion must be filed.  Cal. Corp. Code § 17710.06(a)(4).   The Secretary of State's form of certificate of conversion is available here.  The filing fee is currently $70.